Saturday, January 3, 2009

Medical care in India......Yikes.

So, I've been MIA for a few days b/c I got really sick. My lovely sickness culminated in a hospital clinic overnight last night, which was absolutely bizarre. The hotel staff arranged a motorcade to take me the three blocks to the 24 hr emergency care place, and it was seriously like I was a celebrity. I mean, I was definitely really, really sick, but I don't think it warranted a two car and motorcycle parade to take me there. Once I got there, the doctor ( I hope he was a doctor??) decided I had food poisoning and a migraine, but also thought I might have an infection of some sort. So the nurse (that they call sisters here) tried for way too long to get an IV, and she was INTENSELY rough. I've had IV's before, but nothing like this. And now I have a HUUUGE bruise to show for it. Then they gave me all these injections. But I don't know what they are. That's safe, right?? I know that one was an anti-convulsion medication since I'd been throwing up for the past 6 hours, and one was an anti-nausea, b/c I could have continued for another 6 hrs, or more. and then they came in and gave me a painkiller for my headache (which happened to be the worst headache of my life, I can say. I was crying and shaking and just a big mess, basically). So when they gave me the painkiller, they put it in my butt, and then massaged it in. A lot. It was incredibly weird, and more than a little awkward. So, after getting all my meds, I got hooked up to some saline and spent the night getting fluids, and at least two other medications that I remember.....although there may have been more. I was really out of it. In the morning I had to wait like 4 hours for the doctor to get done working out to see me....not everything is different from the U.S........And then he decided he needed blood from me, and to check my blood pressure a lot ( which was completely normal, so i don't know why they kept checking.......) When the bloodwork came back, they decided I had an infection of some sort, and gave me a prescription for like 4 things of which I have never heard. So the worst part about the clinic/emergency care place was how....dirty it was. seriously not clean. I was really worried about new needles being used, but they were all new, so that was good.
I'm tired, so I'm ending this post. More later, but I am better, and recuperating at the hotel slowly now.

No comments:

Post a Comment